This Friday we will be seeing a play about culture and the lives of islanders at Maui Arts and Cultural Center. Class will be held at normal times but we will leave in the vans promptly at 9 am so please do not be late.
Next Tuesday we will take our Kid Biz Reward trip to the Maui Humane Society. We will try to raise some extra money for them by doing a Pennies for Pets drive and we will try to collect supplies that they need! Please bring in any spare change this week! The class who raises the most money will get a prize!
Homework this week: 50 minutes of iReady reading and 50 minutes of iReady math.
Today you have 5 assignments. Many of these assignments require you to work with your parents so be sure to read through this list TOGETHER.
- IXL S6, T2, T3, M1, M3. That’s FIVE assignments and it should take you around 1 hour to complete them all. Smartscore 80.
- Watch THIS PLAYLIST of videos about cultures around the world. Then talk to your parents about your culture (or cultureS) and write a paragraph in your journal about what defines your culture and what makes it special. Be specific and try to learn a lot about yourself! Then write a few questions that you could ask another person to learn about their culture.
- Watch THIS video about energy and take notes in your journal about the 5 main forms of energy. Then draw a picture of all the ways your household uses energy. Talk to your parents about where the energy in your house come from (not just electricity!) and label the type of energy and where it comes from on the picture.
- Again, talk to your parents about your invention and make a plan for how you will get your supplies. You should have all your supplies and be ready to start creating by Thursday. Write your plan in your journal and be specific about your supplies. Then write your steps to build your invention in your journal.
- Finally, with your parents' approval (and after you have completed your spelling handout AND some iReady!), find a TV show or movie to watch. While you are watching, write THREE complete, correct, and detailed paragraphs in your journal about the following:
1) Describe the setting: Where and when does it take place? Why is the setting important? How does it shape the story? Would the story be different if it were a different setting? How does it compare to the setting in Dear Mr. Henshaw.
2) Explain the characters: What are the main characters’ features and personalities? Is there a protagonist (main good guy) and contagonist (main bad guy)? How do the characters change throughout the story (very important!)? What causes them to change?
3) Summarize the conflict and resolution: How is the conflict created? Why is it a problem? What is the most important part of the conflict (climax) and why is it important? How is the conflict resolved? Does everyone live happily ever after? Why or why not?
--- This will be graded as a test so be sure to work hard on it.
Be sure you have completed your spelling handout and that you are ready for the test!