See the school announcements page for important dates and announcements. Tomorrow the book mobile will be here and you should wear comfortable shoes and sun protection in case we do a tsunami drill.
We will start building our historic sites this Thursday! All students must have a sturdy board to build your site on. Please talk to your parents and gather any supplies you might want to use. Some good supplies are: cardboard (cereal boxes, shipping boxes, milk cartons, etc), paper bags, plastic water bottles, old styrofoam, foil, newspaper, toilet paper rolls, pebbles, sand, and other natural material, tape, glue, scissors, paint, and other art supplies. Bring any extra too! Email me with questions.
Parents, after the May Day celebrations I would like to have a local food lunch get-together. We are currently learning about foreign influence on Hawaiian culture and I would love for students to try some of the many fantastic cuisines that are prevalent in Hawaii! HERE is a doc I’ve created so that students can add their food. See more info there.
This week we will do a bubble geometry challenge. Research the best homemade bubble solution and bring in anything you want to try out (such as a small bag of dish soap!)
Homework this week: gather your building supplies for Thursday and finish your 6th and 7th comic pages by Tuesday.
Today you have 6 assignments.
- See the previous blog post below (called Your Individual HS Docs) and find your class number and go to the linked doc. There you will type your historic site body paragraphs. Review my notes in your journal and make any changes to your paragraphs.
- EACH body paragraph should have a quote that starts with: According to ___(the name of the web page or author)____, “(direct quote from the site!).” You will need to find these quotes on your own; you can check the HS DOC to use your previously posted websites or use new websites.
- There are further instructions on your individual doc that you will need to read VERY CAREFULLY.
- You do not need to type your introduction and conclusion yet but you can if you have time.
- This will take at least 1 hour; you may need to rewrite your paragraphs if that is what we discussed on Friday (if you were absent, try to write your best paragraphs and I will review them with you this week).
- Take the reading test then complete the first 4 tabs and the math tab of the lesson on KidBiz called “Hawaii and Pidgin.”
- Plan out the card you want to create that we will make tomorrow. If you have any art supplies you want to use, please bring it in tomorrow. Your card must have a correct circuit diagram that includes batteries, a wire, a light, and a switch (HERE are picture examples of circuit diagrams) as well as a special letter you want to write. ;)
- Read chapters 16, 17, and 18 (about 7 pages) and pick out your quotes and summaries and write them in your journal. Sketch your pictures too! I will give you the comic page tomorrow and that final copy will be due next week. We will read chapter 19 in class tomorrow and discuss these chapters so be sure you finish this.
- Study your spelling words. If everyone does well, this will be our LAST spelling test of the year! Try writing a poem to remember the rhyming words!
- Finish your page 5 comic page (13, 14, 15) and your triangle art.