Every Monday morning, I will post a new blog about the week as well as explaining what you will need to complete for Monday’s virtual assignments. These assignments will mainly be completed on the computer but may also include writing in your journal, watching a video, reading, and more! They should take about 4 - 5 hours, with breaks, to complete. Remember, this is a normal school day so these assignments are necessary and will help you in class and in life! Attendance will be taken on Mondays. Unless otherwise stated, these assignments are due before class on Tuesday, although you should work on them during normal school hours (9-2:30) because that is when I will be available to answer any questions via email.
There is also virtual work on Thursday mornings, which will be in a new post. These should be completed before lunch so that we can discuss the work in class that day. Thursday morning virtual work should take about 2 hours with a short break.
Fourth graders will eat lunch at school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. You can bring something from home or order lunch from the school. You can pay your lunch balance at the middle school front desk. There is a menu on the right hand side of this page (check under MS lunch, it is not always updated right away). Students should bring a snack and water everyday.
WEEK 1: August 1-5
On lined paper, answer the following questions in complete sentences. You do not need to write the questions down, just your answers. Write clearly and try to be as detailed as possible! Each question should have at least a few sentences. This is a great activity for me to get to know you and for you to get to know your new classmates. Click here to see my example. This is today’s only assignment so spend as much time as you can on this. Bring in your answers to class on Tuesday.
- What is your full name? Do you like it? Why or why not?
- Do you have any nicknames? You can make one for yourself!
- When is your birthday? Do you celebrate? If so, how?
- Tell me about your family!
- Do you have any pets? If not, do you want one?
- Where do you live? What do you like about it? Is there anything you don’t like about it?
- What is your home like? What do you like and dislike?
- Have you always lived in Maui or did you move here? What do you love about Maui?
- Where did you go to school last year? What did you like about it?
- What is your favorite subject in school? Why? (examples: math, reading, writing, science, art, PE, history)
- What is your least favorite subject? Why?
- What do you hope to learn this year?
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Why?
- What is something you are looking forward to in the future? (far in the future and just this year)
- What is your favorite color? Why?
- What are your favorite animals? Why?
- What are your favorite foods? Why?
- What is your favorite game? (board games, card games, lawn games, recess games, etc)
- What is your favorite digital game? (phone apps, computer games, etc)
- What is your favorite sport? Why?
- Do you play on any team, instrument, or in a club? (dance, singing, etc too!)
- What are some of your favorite songs?
- What do you like to do on the weekend or in your spare time?
- What is your favorite book? Why?
- What is your favorite movie? Why?
- What are your strengths or some things about yourself that you are proud of?
- What are your weaknesses or some things about yourself you want to improve?
- Tell me one (or a few) fun fact about yourself!
When you finish these questions, prepare your backpack for the first day today. Bring your answers, your binder with paper, a notebook, pencils, and markers. Get a good night’s sleep and I will see you tomorrow by 8:55 am. If you have any questions, I am available via email.
Today students will be sent home with their emergency packets. They are due on Wednesday. These are very important and need to be returned as soon as possible because we cannot go out in the field until they are all turned in. So please fill them out tonight and return them on Wednesday morning.
Today is our day out in the field. On Wednesdays we will go in school vans to different areas across the island. We will do PE, science, writing, and many other subjects. A strict dress code is required on Wednesdays: School shirt, shorts, gym shoes or sneakers, sun protection (sunscreen, hat, whatever you need), and a water bottle! Students should also bring a hearty snack that does not need refrigeration (as well as your home lunch) as we will be in the field until lunch time and it will get hot.
Students will begin the day at home with virtual work. A new blog post will be posted every Thursday by 9:30 am. Class then starts at 12:00 so eat lunch at home and bring in a snack for break time.
We made it through the week! Any final notes to parents or students may be posted on Friday. I look forward to a GREAT year!