- I will be emailing parents about your most recent iReady Diagnostic test results as well as the next set of lessons you will need to complete before January to be at the mid fourth grade level. Please discuss this together and try to finish (and learn from) as many of these lessons as you can!
Today you have 6+ assignments.
First, you will edit the rough drafts for your Hawaiian Alphabet Book that you received last week. We will follow a simple format called PCQ to provide useful constructive criticism to our journalists. PCQ stands for Praise, Comment, Question. Read carefully below to understand how to do this. Write most of your notes on the BACK of the journalist’s page.
- Praise: Write the letter P, then write something you like about the journalist’s page.
- Comment: Write the letter C, then leave a comment about something the journalist can do to improve their page. Think about the handwriting, colors, sentence, and illustration. Also decide whether the journalist did a good job filling the entire page, which is important in alphabet books.
- Question: Write the letter Q, then ask the journalist a question about something that can improve their page.
- Then, add any notes you’d like so that your journalist can make a final draft that is correct and fitting for your book! Be polite and positive with your notes.
- Do this for all your pages. Please take this seriously. We all want to make books that we are proud of so use this time wisely. If you have NOT finished your rough draft pages from last Monday, please do them today. Bring everything in tomorrow! Do NOT forget anything!
Second, go to your own Volcano Doc and check it carefully. This week, students will be editing each other’s work so your essay must be complete with two paragraphs TODAY. Look for:
- Two paragraphs with two separate topics. Each paragraph should be about DIFFERENT things.
- Spelling and grammar mistakes. There should be NO red or blue squiggly lines on your doc.
- You do not need an introduction or conclusion paragraph yet. We will write them after our peer editing.
- Please be sure to SHARE with me. Resend it by typing my email and clicking Send. Remember, this is so that I can see you worked on it today.
Third, complete BB.1, BB.2, and BB.3 on IXL Language Arts. These are about adjectives that compare and will help you prepare for the spelling test tomorrow.
Fourth, in your journal, number 1-25 and write sentences using the spelling words. Each sentence should have AT LEAST 5 words and you need to write with your best handwriting.
Fifth, watch THIS video on the scientific topic of Inference and Observation. This is for a class of higher level students but it is very informative. Ignore the parts that are about their class. Feel free to take notes but I will not check them, just pay close attention because this is an important skill that will be used a lot on our state tests next semester! Then answer the question on the G classroom with the difference between inferences and observations AS WELL AS an example of an inference and observation.
Last, Kihei Charter School is very lucky to be able to participate in a national spelling bee. We will have an in-class Spelling Bee tomorrow. Find information about the Spelling Bee HERE and join the *free only* Word Club! (School zip code is 96753, ask your parents if you are having trouble). Then, log in to your account and go to Study Words on the left side of the page. Open the PDF doc to see the EXACT words I will be using for the test tomorrow. Study them! You can also play the free version of the games on the website. Then, play one of THESE fun games and read a book to practice your spelling skills. Spend about 1 hour studying these new words! Come to class tomorrow knowing how to spell some of these words AND what they mean!
Finally, if you had any “Incomplete” assignments on Power School, be sure to complete them today.
With any remaining time, work on iReady and study for the spelling test and spelling bee! Today's assignments may not take long so please spend A LOT of time working on iReady and studying spelling today!
Spelling test, Spelling Bee
We will have homework Tuesday, 5 more rough drafts for our books, assigned and posted on the blog on Tuesday.
Wear PE attire
Virtual posted by 9 am