This week, we do not have school on Tuesday the 8th (Election Day) and Friday the 11th (Veterans’ Day). Therefore, students will only be in school Wednesday and Thursday. We will have normal virtual assignments today and Thursday morning.
HOMEWORK THIS WEEK: 60 minutes of iReady READING, due Sunday 11/13.
Today you have 3 long assignments.
First, we’re going to learn about the elections! This assignment should take up to three hours. Do not rush through it. Think about each of the questions below.
- Watch this video about how to become the president. Would you want to be president?
- Read this webpage about the different political parties. If you want, you can print the coloring pages of the parties. Is there a political party that you would like to join someday?
- Watch these two videos about Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate Donald Trump (optional: also watch these about the other candidates). Does one candidate stand out to you?
- Imagine you are running for president of the class. Try to persuade the class to vote for you by writing a 4-sentence persuasive essay on the G classroom. Watch THIS video about how to write a persuasive essay and follow the OREO method from the video. See my example on the comments for exactly how to use the OREO method. Be prepared to read these aloud to the class if we have time in class. Why would you make a good class president?
- Go to WeVoteHawaii.org and check out the home page as well as the students page (by clicking Students & Parents at the top). Learn something new then go to your email and find an email from me with your username and password. Use these, as well as your precinct number, which you can look up HERE, then click on Vote Now on the WeVoteHawaii homepage. This is your chance to practice a real vote just like your parents are doing tomorrow! What did you like or dislike about your voting experience?
- Finally, reply to my email with a short paragraph about your voting experience as well as two things you learned from today’s elections assignments.
Second, complete IXL Language Arts lessons F.3, F.4, G.1 and G.2. These are about plural nouns and should help you with Wednesday’s spelling test. You should be able to get at least 90 SmartScore!
Third, answer the ten Dear Mr. Henshaw questions about yourself on a NEW google Doc. Title it “Your Name DMH?” Remember to use a similar writing style as Leigh’s and read the notes we took in class in the link above before beginning each question. You may copy the notes from my Doc onto yours and delete them after you finish answering each question. This took Leigh a long time and should take you at least a few hours. If you do not finish it today, you can finish it after school throughout this week (remember to work for 5-6 hours total today). SHARE it with me TODAY!
Don’t forget to study your spelling words today AND tomorrow because our test is on Wednesday!
Tuesday, NO SCHOOL
Pay attention to the news today and talk with your parents about the elections! Today is a very very important day in the history of USA so be active in learning outside of school!
Study your spelling words too!
Spelling test! We will stay at school so you do NOT need to wear PE attire.
Virtual to be posted by 9 am.
Friday, NO SCHOOL
Take time today to thank a veteran for their service if you can!