Life in a Wetland
You are going to begin a self-study about wetlands and life cylces. Follow the directions below.
Define the following words using the format (wetlands - definition) on loose leaf paper. Refer to definitions at http://www.harcourtschool.com/glossary/science/index5.html.
Answer the following questions on the same loose leaf paper. Use the websites listed for wetlands research (you may also choose your own):
Restate the question in the answer and use complete sentences, proper sentence structure and grammar.
- What are wetlands and where might you find one?
- Where are some wetlands located in Hawai'i? Maui?
- What is the purpose of a wetland (i.e., filtration, nursery, protection, habitat....)? Be specifc in your answer.
- Name the organisms that make their home in wetlands.
- Which of those organisms are the producers, consumers and decomposers?
- What types of organisms live in Hawai'i's wetlands?
- Why are wetland areas decreasing?
- In your opinion, why is it important to keep wetlands in their natural habitats?
You will be using knowledge gained from your own research to explore the Kealia Pond Wildlife Reserve wetland area in Kihei during field excersions.
Due in class on Monday 10/19/15