You will continue research about ways that we can make our garden better. Research and answer the following questions. They can be in "bullet-point" form and written on a sheet of loose leaf paper.
Grading: 21st Century (thinking and problem solving) - 12 pts.
- Define compost.
- What are the benefits for using a compost bin?
- List what items should you compost.
- List what items NOT to compost.
- List ways to maintain or control the compost bin.
- What organisms live in a compost pile? How do they help with composting?
- List plant types that will grow in Kihei which is a desert environment.
- Based on your answer, which plants should we use in our garden?
- List any specific accommodations for each plant that requires proper growth such as more or less shade or sun, more or less water, types of soil, etc.
- Based on the different types of plants that we can grow in our garden, list ways that we should plant them, such as spacing of seeds, seed depth, how often to water, soil depth, etc.
- We have an area of 10 feet by 10 feet for open garden space. Draw different raised garden beds that will fit into this area. Be sure to include the length, height and depth. Some specific garden bed ideas are: pizza garden, herb garden and salsa garden. You my create your own.
- List the benefits of having a raised garden bed.