Aloha new and returning students and parents! Welcome to Fourth Grade at Kihei Charter School. We are going to have a great year learning new things, making new friends, and growing as individuals! My name is Ms. Bridget and I am so excited to meet you all.
Every Monday morning by 8 am, I will post a new blog about Monday’s virtual assignments as well as any weekly announcements. These virtual assignments will mainly be completed on the computer but also include writing in your journal, watching a video, reading, and more! They should take about five hours to complete. Remember, this is a normal school day so these assignments are necessary and will help you in class and in life! Attendance will be taken on Mondays. Unless otherwise stated, these assignments are due before class on Tuesday, although you should work on them during normal school hours (9-2:30) because that is when I will be available to answer any questions via email.
There is also virtual work on Thursday mornings, which will be posted on Thursdays before 8 am. These should be completed before lunch so that we can discuss the work in class that day. Thursday morning virtual work should take about 2 hours with a short break.
Fourth graders will eat lunch at school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. You can bring something from home or order lunch from the school. You can pay your lunch balance at the middle school front desk. There is a menu on the right hand side of this page (check under MS lunch, it is not always updated right away). Students should bring a snack and water everyday.
WEEK 1: August 7-11
On lined paper, answer the following questions in complete sentences. You do not need to write the questions down, just your answers with the question number. Write clearly and try to be as detailed as possible! Each question should have at least 3 sentences. This is a great activity for me to get to know you and for you to get to know your new classmates. Click HERE to see my example. Yours should look like mine, but written, not typed. Bring in your answers to class on Tuesday.
- What is your full name? Do you like it? Why or why not? Do you have any nicknames?
- When is your birthday? Do you celebrate? If so, how?
- Tell me about your family!
- Do you have any pets? If not, do you want one?
- Where do you live? What do you like and dislike about it? What is your home like? What do you like and dislike?
- Have you always lived in Maui or did you move here? What do you like and dislike about Maui?
- Where did you go to school last year? What did you like about it?
- What is your favorite subject in school? Why? (examples: math, reading, writing, science, art, PE, history? What is your least favorite subject? Why?
- What do you hope to learn this year?
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Why?
- What is your favorite color? Why?
- What are your favorite animals? Why?
- What are your favorite foods? Why?
- What is your favorite game? (board games, card games, lawn games, recess games, etc) What is your favorite digital game? (phone apps, computer games, etc)
- What is your favorite sport? Why? Do you play on any team, instrument, or in a club? (dance, singing, etc too!)
- What do you like to do on the weekend or in your spare time?
- What is your favorite book? Why? What is your favorite movie? Why?
- What are your strengths or some things about yourself that you are proud of? What are your weaknesses or some things about yourself you want to improve?
Your second assignment is to prepare your backpack for tomorrow.
- Write your name on the outside of your binder and put lined paper and graph paper in it.
- Put the above questionnaire answers in the front pocket of your binder. Label that pocket "To Be Turned In."
- Make dividers for Math, Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts and put them in your binder.
- Find your journal (notebook with lined paper) and put your name on the front.
- Put sharpened pencils, scissors, sharpie, highlighter, Expo (white board) marker, eraser, and a small pencil sharpener in your pencil case. You should also keep one set of colored pencils in your backpack and the other art supplies you may donate now or later to the classroom.
- See the main page for a list of supplies you should have. Not all need to come to school tomorrow; this is a list for the semester.
- Put your binder, journal, colored pencils, hand sanitizer, tissues, and pencil case in your backpack.
With any remaining time, find a chapter book you want to read and begin reading it!
Get a good night’s sleep and I will see you tomorrow by 8:55 am. If you have any questions, I am available via email.
Today students will be sent home with their emergency packets. They are due on Wednesday. These are very important and need to be returned as soon as possible because we cannot go out in the field until they are all turned in. So please fill them out tonight and return them on Wednesday morning.
We will also begin our weekly spelling tests with a practice test.
Today is our day out in the field. On Wednesdays we will go in school vans to different areas across the island. We will do science, writing, reading, social studies, math and many other subjects.
Students will participate in PE from 10:30 to 12:00 with Coach Kimo.
A strict dress code is required on Wednesdays: School shirt, shorts, gym shoes or sneakers, sun protection (sunscreen, hat, whatever you need), and a water bottle! Students should also bring a hearty snack that does not need refrigeration (as well as your home lunch) as we will be in the field until lunch time and it will get hot.
Please do not be late any day but especially not on Wednesdays because we need to leave the school on time and cannot wait for latecomers.
Students will begin the day at home with virtual work. A new blog post will be posted every Thursday by 8 am. Class then starts at 12:00 so eat lunch at home and bring in a snack for break time.
We made it through the week! Any final notes to parents or students may be posted on Friday. I look forward to a GREAT year!