Great job everyone on your Teach Us Time lessons! They were all spectacular. You are all such great public speakers!
Today you will start your Historic Site Building project!
First, start your own doc titled "Your Name HSB." Share it with me as soon as you create it!!
- Find at least 3 websites with information about your site and copy and paste them to your doc under the section called Websites. Start at Google and search the name of your historic site then copy the address bar at the top and paste it. Ulukau, this Hawaiian online dictionary, is also a great place to find research but it is a bit difficult to understand so start with Google.
- We will discuss credible sites in class this week but try to look for websites that end in .org or .edu.
- Some great sites that haven't been chosen are: Hanauma Bay, Lahaina Luna High School, Iao Valley, Kaho'olawe, volcanoes, Waimea Canyon, Pearl Harbor, Front Street, Hale Ho'ike'ike (Bailey House), Dole Plantation,
- Buildings should be easier to build than natural sites.
- After, make a section called Notes on your doc and take a few notes on historical events that occurred at your site such as how and when it was built/formed, what historic events happened there, and what it is like today.
- Add the year it was built/formed to our shared doc!!
- You can and should copy direct quotations on your notes section because we will use them for essays. But remember which website you copied from!
- Then find around five different pictures of your site and paste them to your doc. The easiest way to do this is to have both websites open next to each other and drag the picture to your doc. Title this section Pictures.
- Then, write a Supply List of things you will need to recreate your site. Your recreation should be as realistic as possible but should not cost a lot of money so use simple, household materials like clay, Lego, paper, sticks, sugar cubes, or any other food! It should be built on a thick cardboard or poster board about 2 feet across (not too big, not too small).
- If you and your family have time today, try to get your supplies ready today or after school this week. We will officially start building on Thursday but you can start today if you're ready.
HERE is my sample doc. Please try to copy my doc's style. So have a sections for Websites, Notes, Pictures, and Supplies.
- I am available by chat on MY sample doc (and maybe yours) and you can email me with any questions.
AFTER you've finished creating your doc and drawing design plans, complete IXL lesson V3.
With any remaining time, please read and do iReady. Remember, we will be checking our reading logs and celebrating our reading accomplishments so bring those in on Tuesday! Study your SPELLING WORDS! Let's all do better than last time.
Also, if you want to perform or do an activity at the Senior Living Center on Tuesday, please send me music today. You can practice Happy and Lava here (just X all the ads)! The best way to memorize is to write the lyrics down!
We will be going to Kalama Heights Senior Living Center to perform and interact with the residents there. This will be a very rewarding and unique experience so please look and act your best! EDIT: Kalama Heights may be providing us with lemonade and cookies so please check with your parents to make sure it is ok for you to eat them/
We will be going to the library to find books about our sites. You most likely will not need to borrow a book (we will take notes at the library) but bring your library card just in case!
Talent show today from 11 to 12! If you are performing or want to watch the entire show, please come to school around 10:50!
We will do PE so dress accordingly.